2016, 2017 St Francis in the Fields
Site last updated 23April2017
The pipe organ in St Francis in the Fields Church was built by William Anderson
in 1877 for St Mark’s Church, Fitzroy and was in continuous use there until 1998
when St Mark’s was restored and the opportunity taken to replace their 121
years old organ with an instrument from Oxford in England.
The purchase and installation at
Mooroolbark was made possible by
gifts of time and money by local people
in memory of loved ones who have
The organ ‘transplant’ was supervised
by Ian Wakeley, who grew up in this
parish and has his own organ building
firm, Wakeley Pipe Organs. His father,
Peter, is one of organists.
There are 900 pipes in the organ – the
smallest is about the size of a pencil
and the largest is 18 feet long.
St Francis in the Fields
218-224 Hull Road. Mooroolbark
telephone (03) 9733 4626
Click for full image